Monday, October 02, 2006

Thirst

The students slowly pile into the chapel. Blacks sit to the right, whites up front, Hispanics scatter, and sleepers in the back. I sit alone in between them all.

The speaker raises his voice with each scripture: Matthew to Mark; John to Exodus; Revelation to Psalms. I thirst for something new. My eyes lower into Basho and Bukowski.

A few hands rise toward God, some rise simply toward the ceiling. My hands cup to catch the third sneeze. "Help me to get through this, God," I mumble to myself. Others look my way and nod their "bless you." I smile and reply, "I'll keep the cold, but this Gospel is too much for me to handle."

almost winter
the dog's chained neck
bent toward the bowl

7 Comments:

Blogger polona said...

well done!

1:15 PM  
Blogger MMM said...

Dustin this is great.

8:03 PM  
Blogger its_baxter said...

Dustin, this is great. There's so much of you in this.
And thanks, I also read the new issue of Clouds peak. It looks good. thanks for including mine.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Tim S said...

Interesting read - fascinating combination of prose and haiku.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Richard Kay said...

enjoyed! i particularly like the many levels of meaning in the haiku.

4:19 AM  
Blogger Collin said...

Great writing. The haiku complements the prose very nicely. Well done Dustin!

5:22 AM  
Blogger Tikkis said...

A good text. A short story, and a poem. Stopped to eye your dog.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home